Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Anime First Impressions: Spring 2015 Part 1

The new anime season is here, and I watched 6 of them so far. It seems that this season will be great, and I'll have to put some on my watchlist to watch at another time.


Hibike! Euphonium

Music, School Life, Slice of LiFe - Kyoto Animation (KyoAni) - MAL

By far, this is the one that I loved the most. Being a trumpet/sax player and loving jazz, there's no way I won't watch Hibike! Euphonium. There's drama, music, 'slice of life' moments, and lots of cute brass/woodwind players. BTW, did I mentioned that I really liked the main character playing euphonium, and not a more familiar instrument, like a saxophone? It's good to show people other instruments, and possibly, make they want to play them. Oumae Kumiko, the protagonist, feels very real and plausible, dealing with the daily problems of a recently turned high schooler, like changing her hair and having no one noticing it. A must-watch if you like cute slice-of-life and music anime. Or even if you don't usually like, I think it's worth giving it a try.



Kekkai Sensen

Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Super Power, Vampire, Supernatural, Seinen - Bones - MAL

This one is a combination of various elements that form a very enjoyable mess. For what I know, it's like Baccano (I didn't watch this one yet), and have jazz (again), a protagonist with a unique power, a New York City filled with supernatural beings, and a group of people that try to fight them. With blood-related powers in the form of 'martial arts' as they call it. As I said before, it's a mess, but very funny!


Punch Line

Comedy, Ecchi, Slice of Life, Supernatural - MAPPA - MAL

Another excellent example of an anime full of 'What The Hell is This' moments and a plot that I'm sure the writers were drunk when they created it. But again, it works! A guy was on a bus during a robbery, and a 'magical girl' without magic try (and fail) to rescue everyone. After almost dying, the guy has his body possessed, and now he is just a soul (or a ghost) wandering around. To recover his body, he needs to find a book that may help him, and the book is probably hidden in a room of one of the beautiful girls that live in the same building. To make things worse (or more wtf, if you prefer), if he sees panties and get excited, an asteroid falls on Earth, killing everyone.