Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Audio Books vs Audio Dramas

Last year I decided to try some audio books, but in addition to English being not my first language, for some reason I just didn't seem to enjoy the samples I tried to listen to. Maybe it's the pacing, or having to use more of my brain to figure out what's happening and follow the story, the only thing I know is that I don't like listening to stories while I'm doing another thing, even if it's driving. And listening to an audio book while lying in my bed just felt like a bad alternative to reading.


But then, I read some blogs talking about Big Finish's audio dramas. Being a Doctor Who fan, I decided to try some, and I figured a lot of pros. But the main reason I liked then is that they are audio dramas and not audio books. The difference may appear small, but it's a huge thing when you are enjoying a great story.

While an audio book is just someone reading a book, an audio drama present you a full cast of voice actors, which are accompanied by sound effects. Remember that old radio dramas that were popular in the old days, and maybe (probably) you only know because your grandma told you about?  That's it! But now you can get them in CDs or just download. That's some nice thing to have.

So, basically I discovered a whole new world of audio adventures filled with action and special (sound) effects. That really got my attention because, while I still don't like to listen to them while driving or working or anything, it's something great to do before sleep. I just turn off the lights, put on my earphones and set the sleep time to 10~20, just enough to clear my mind and be ready to fall asleep.

And another great advantage is that now I have an enormous amount of new adventures to keep up with. Ok, that's a disadvantage too because I'll never be able to listen to all of them, but at least I have plenty of choices, right?

And you, which one do you prefer? Or do you like both? Neither? Leave a comment with your opinions about them. In a future post, I'll be recommending some places that you can get the dramas and give them a try :D