Friday, June 24, 2016

My OneNote Dungeons and Dragons character sheet

I'm new to Dungeons and Dragons, and only played the 5th edition starter adventure until now. So far I'm really enjoying it: the battles, the roleplaying, the characters, the story; but I've to admit that keeping notes and updating the character info on paper is annoying sometimes.

I'm the one keeping the adventure's notes and the party loot as well. I don't see a problem with that, except for a few issues: my handwriting is horrible, I write slowly on paper, and after writing and erasing a few times, the paper starts refusing to be written on again. Then I decided to go digital.

My first idea was to continue using a form fillable pdf, but instead of printing it, keeping it on the computer, and then use OneNote to well... write notes. But then I decided to try to go full-on OneNote and here I am to share the initial results.



Please keep in mind that it's not finished and stylized. As a coworker always says: don't optimize something that's not ready yet. After the first session I'll make a few changes, and after that, try to make it look more like the Player's Handbook, changing the fonts, tables, and background.

About

This session has the characters roleplaying info: physical appearance, personality and, ideally, background. But I didn't write his story yet so...


Character Sheet

The page that'll be open most of the time: Abilities, skills, weapons, HP. There's also a sub-page with my familiar's info.


Features and Proficiencies

As you may guess, proficiencies and features. It's great that I can just put the feat description on another page and insert a link, like on Minor Conjuration. There are subpages with class and race feats.


Inventory

Money, equipment, potions, treasure, general loot. Nice that I can add the item's description anywhere, like the Dwarven Brandy, or create a subpage and insert a link. The magical weapons each have a subpage.



Spellbook

For spellcasters, all the info you need when you have to decide what to do: range, area, casting time, if it's concentration or not. Subpages for each spell's description, and I'll link them later, maybe.


Party Loot

As I said before, I keep notes on all the party's loot so we can split our earnings later. No print because it's the same as Inventory.

Curse of Strahd

We'll be starting Curse of Strahd, so I'll write down my campaign notes here. Don't know how I'll organize this yet.

Next Levels

I'll put a numbered list of what to upgrade each level, so I don't need to keep consulting the PHB all the time. I can also plan my future spells, ability points, and feats.

You can download the section file HERE. If you have any suggestions, please leave a comment!